Saturday, October 23, 2010

UFO Buster Tips



Pat Sloan
is posting tips on busting UFOs (UnFinished Objects). I have a good idea of the number of UFOs I have... Some are quilting, two are Highland dance related, and a number of other sewing projects. My goal is to decrease the number of unfinished projects I have hanging around...
TIP 1:
The first tip is making a list of unfinished projects.  Here is my first attempt at a UFO list...

  • Group A - Almost done
    • Hallowe'en Quilt - Now done, Oct 24
    • Hand print quilt for dh
    • My youngests Quilt - ready for quilting
  • Group B – Almost done but ... give away
    • Black Highland Dance Vest
      needs braid, and buttons - then put up for sale
  • Group C – Patially done AND I LOVE the project and WANT to finish it
    • My sons quilt
    • My mom's purse (Birthday Gift)
    • Top for Me
    • Tshirt Remake for my husband
    • Kilt for my oldest - finish hand stitching

  • Group D – Partially done but....Do you REALLY want to finish them?
    • Rocking Chair Cushions - for my mom
    • A small bag, with heart appliqué (demo from sewing show)
      going to use as free motion practice...
  • Group E – Barely started
    • My older daughters quilt - Yes I want to finish this, but need to get a few UFOs done before I start another big project
    • A baby quilt I'd cut out years ago
      Its quite happy in its ziplock bag, I think I'll keep it for a bit, love the fabric, no time to finish right now...
TIP 2: In order to finish you MUST.... PICK SOME to work on!!!! And she suggests picking 3-10 to work on.
  • Pick one that's fast to finish
    • The halloween wall hanging -- DONE
    • Hand Print Quilt for DH
  • Pick one that has a deadline
    • My mom's bag -- DUE Nov 7
  • Pick one you love
    • My Youngest Daughters Quilt -- DUE Nov 7
TIP 3: Time - Must set aside time each day! My goal is to set aside 10-15 minutes while the kids are at school and 15-30minutes after they go to bed.  The goal is to work a minimum of 15minutes on an UFO.  Any extra time can be on new projects...  UFOs must be done first... Oh and Mending will be done on Mondays!  First thing...   

No comments: