Tuesday, November 16, 2010

I've been quilting...

So I haven't posted in a while... I didn't quite get done what I wanted and fell behind.  Lets just say life got in the way and a sore shoulder made it difficult to quilt my daughters quilt.  Then I didn't like the fabric I had for binding - so gave her the quilt unfinished for her birthday -- it was unbound -- but a great hit.  I'll post a photo when I find one...

Here is the current state of the quilt -- it now has binding, sewn on, but needing hand stitching.  I think its time for a great movie or TV watching night!  I have miles (ok, its only metres of binding to sew on!)

q-nov15-00002
Ready for hand stitching


q-nov15-00004And I've been working on two other quilts.  The next one is for my son... I finished up 4 sail boat blocks a while ago, and have now added some flying geese.  I need to cut out another set of flying geese.  I used Ricky Timms One Seam Flying Geese seen here One seam Flying Geese

q-nov15-00003

And I started a quilt for my 7yo daughter.  I am using an assortment of yardage, and fat quarters (as well as some scraps given to me from a friend)... Hoping I have enough fabric - I know I will need to buy fabric to back the quilt and bind it...

q-nov15-00005I wasn't sure what blocks/pattern I wanted to do for her quilt, so decided I'm going to do an assortment of stars or hearts and see where that gets me... The Moose on the Porch Quilt Along posted a pattern for "Alabama Spinner Block".  I omitted the circle in the centre of the block, and have made 4 of them, 2 with different colours of the dark fabric (slightly different purples) as I didn't have enough for 4 blocks from each.  You may also notice in the picture below that two of the stars go the "wrong" way... Oops... but I'm not picking them apart -- its a design feature (not a flaw!)

Alex4
4 Blocks done

2 comments:

Gene Black said...

I agree -it is a design feature. You could do a whole quilt of these and have each row going opposite directions. Wouldn't that be cool?

Gene Black said...

Oooh, I just realized that the way you have them laid out there is a very cool secondary design in the center. It is not completely symmetrical, but it is still pretty.