Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Kilt Making

A local kilt maker decided to teach a course in kilt making before she retired... so I signed up and tonight the course started. It was nerve racking to cut into this expensive fabric (at $70/m!)...

Todays lesson including looking for flaws (in the weaving) to identify the WRONG side of the fabric. Side with the most flaws is the wrong side. Then we measured where we would cut, and cut the fabric into 3 sections. After cutting, we stitched (first hand basted, then machine sewn) the two 3m long pieces together being sure to match the sett. then we pinned up the hem. NOW to hem... all 6m by hand! Yes we are hemming first...

The last course that I took, that I was scared of was a bra making course. And I can even draw comparisons between the two course. You don't have anything to try on until its basically finished and there are both expensive fabrics and lots of work before you get to a finished product. (But a bra is MUCH cheaper!)

More to come next week... or an update as I complain about hand stitching an invisible hem.

No comments: