The Scottish Version of the Irish Jig
The Scottish Version of the Irish Jig is another caricature dance depicting an Irish washerwoman who is angry with her erring husband. The costume worn for this dance is either a red or emerald green skirt and bodice and a full white petticoat, with a white blouse, with a white apron. Red or green jig shoes are worn and there is much stamping and facial grimacing in this dance. In the male version, the dancer wears a red or green tailcoat with a waistcoat of the opposite colour, brown knee britches of corduroy, with a paddy hat and he carries a shillelagh, which is a club made from the forked branch of a tree.


The Sailor's Hornpipe
The Sailor's Hornpipe is a caricature dance developed from the traditional English version. It has become more popular in Scotland than in England and is regularly featured in Highland Games. The movements in this dance portray actions used in the daily work routines of a sailor's life, such as pulling ropes, climbing the rigging, and looking out to sea. A costume like a sailor's uniform is worn by both male and female dancers.
Lily's Quilts - Dresden QAL
In March I started this quilt along. I did really well for a while and then other things got in the way and I didn't get any of my blocks set in the outer circle borders. I cut out ONE outer circle border and got it ready a while ago, but was too afraid that my pieces wouldn't fit. Last night I got brave and set it! It went in easily... so I guess I have 4 more to cut out, piece and set... Hopefully in August I can get the other squares set, add the 2 borders and layer them for quilting....

4 comments:
You've been busy! My mom used to make a lot of costumes for me when I was younger, I loved them!
The costumes are lovely. I assume they are being used soon. These remind me of where I grew up and our celebration of everyone's heritage with a celebration in the park that went on for a couple of days with food booths, and live performances of dances and singing. It was a favorite part of our summer celebrations.
Thanks for sharing.
My Irish Dance teacher was a former Highland dancer. I loved learning about both traditions!
I LOVE seeing your highland costumes. I did Highland Dancing for 12 years and have wonderful memories of the costumes my mum made for me. My favourite Irish Jig costume was all white with a beautiful pintucked apron. That and the Lilt used to be my favourite dances.
Post a Comment