Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Dare to Dresden....


Welcome to the Dare to Dresden Blog Hop!  For a list of other sites head over to the other bloggers showcasing today:



For my dresden I was inspired by Paul's Gear Block Cushion.  I loved this, and thought it would work great with the fabric I used for my husband's Christmas Present.  My plan is to make a pillow about 18" square...

I sketched a pattern out and then decided I would paper piece it... A little crazy as it has 18 sections with two pieces per section in a half of the Dresden   I had my husband (using his graphic skills) draft up the papers I would use for the Paper Piecing...  It was lots of paper.... but I have learned a few things I like when paper piecing... I much prefer the 1/4" lines to be printed on the paper, and I like to pre-cut the sections out... I found it made it faster for sewing.
I didn't get a chance to finish my Dresden into a pillow because I have been busy with Dance Costumes and Robbie Burns activities.... and busy with building my new sewing studio.
Although there is currently poor lighting, this room
will have lots of lighting once finished!
Progress on the new studio - mudding in progressNew Ceiling!

This isn't my first time making Dresdens.  One is currently on the back of the quilt on the longarm, and the others are waiting to be quilted...


My Dresden's waiting for quilting
From Lily's Quilts QAL
And the one on the back of my Quilt from
 last year's Sew Happy Geek QAL

68 comments:

charlotte said...

Love it. Can't wait to see it finished as well as your studio!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Love your Dresden with the different sized blades!!! Great fabrics, too...

Jeanie said...

Your pillow will be great when finished....it does have a masculine feel to it. And your studio.....it will be fabulous!

Betsy said...

Gorgeous work. Thank you for sharing such wonderful eye candy today.

Sowing Stitches said...

Your soon to be Dresden Pillow...like the way you created the blades!!!! :)

gpc said...

I love it -- what a great spin on Dresden!

Daryl @ Patchouli Moon Studio said...

Great looking modern Dresden.

Thearica said...

I am really digging that dresden block! I am saving this to my inspiration files!

Christine L said...

Your Modern Twist on the Dresden is Wonderful! Thank you so much for taking the Dare to Dresden! Congrats on the new sewing room..hope it is finished for you quickly. Hugs and Happy Hoppin'!!

Mommarock said...

Well it sure is fantastic even if you didn't get time to finish it.

Sparky said...

a great pillow Leah..and it goes well with that quilt...you did good...and looks like we may never get you out of your sewing room ....

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

It is fabulous!! Anxious to see it finished...I like the different sizes of the wedges.

Agnes B. Bullock said...

These are wonderful!

Carol Swift said...

Your paper pieced Dresden is beautiful! Looks like your sewing studio is going to be amazing (just a little jealous here.) :O)

Nancy in IN said...

Thanks for sharing. I made quarter blocks using men's ties. Love the different sized blades.

Linda said...

What a great modern spin on the Dresden! I love what you did with it!

Britt-Inger said...

I love your Dresden and the pillow will be awesome
Thanks for sharing your creativity

Quilt n Queen said...

Leah, love your modern look to the the traditional Dresden block. A perfect soon to be finished pillow to go with the quilt. Thanks for the inspiration and sharing with us today. Happy stitching, Pauline

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love this piece - it's very geometric and for an old math teacher it was beautiful! blessings, marlene

carla said...

Hi!!! I love love the top Dresden!!! Beautiful!!! You studio is looking wonderful!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Gill said...

I love your 'gear' dresden!
Thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your dresdens are nice. And have fun finishing your room.

Vickie said...

What a lucky girl you are, that studio looks huge. Great job on finding a new way to do a Dresden !

Calicojoan said...

Love your paper pieced dresden. Congrats of your studio. We do all love our lighting don't we? :-)

sew.darn.quilt said...

Unique and lovely :)

Crazy Amy said...

what a fresh idea on the dresden! modern and chic! Love that sewing room, I'm a bit jealous. Thank you for sharing.

VickiT said...

Very pretty Dresdens you've made. That studio looks like it's going to be amazing when you're done.

Quilter Kathy said...

FUN! I love the different lengths of the blades and that you paper pieced it!

Die Butjenterin Abschnitt said...

Your Dresden Plate are beautiful.
Tanks for sharing.

Needled Mom said...

Your Dresdens are gorgeous. I love the uneven petals one.

Diann said...

Nice Dresden. The paper piecing must have taken a chunk of time.

Leah said...

Beautiful!! and your sewing room is coming along nicely! Thanks for sharing those photos as well.

DeAnna said...

Your Dresden's are fabulous! Love the colors, especially the gray background. Wow...you are going to have a great studio. It's great to have your own space.

JudyCinNC said...

Thank you for sharing your beautiful Dresden - so very creative and inspiring. Judy C

Wendy said...

Lovely! It makes such a modern cog design

LJ said...

Wow, a new quilting studio!! That's wonderful and so exciting. I love that 'gear look', too. Super color combination on your dresden.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Your dresden is great, but I have to say, your studio in progress stole the show. I can't wait to see the finished look!!

littlelixie said...

Love the look of yours x

Lana said...

I love the fabrics and the way you put them together! Wow...that will be an awesome studio for sure!!!

Kim West said...

I really love your top dresden... wow!

Rosemary B❤️ said...

Rosemary B here: Wow, I love your creations. well done, marvelous colors!
I love the sewing area. It looks really big, lots of room to spread out
Thank you for sharing your lovely projects

Wendy said...

Love your dresdens! Your little top is very modern and I am in love with it!

Kathy @ Kwilty Pleasures said...

Loving the pillow you will finish!

Jane's Quilting said...

How cool, I like the idea of an uneven Dresden. And am jealous of your new sewing room. I bet you can't wait to have it finished.

Sunshine Girl said...

Very nice - thanks for sharing.

Vicki {Quilting Lodge} said...

Love your dresden with the crazy blades! It's my favorite!

Joyce Carter said...

Love the Dresden. I think it will make a beautiful pillow. Thanks for sharing.

Gina Loomis said...

Your dresden is beautiful! I love the different size wedges! Congrats on your studio! Looking forward to seeing more photo's of it!

Scrapbook-ChickADoodle said...

They are all wonderful.
Your new sewing studio will be awesome!

Auntie Em said...

Wow, you really took Dresden to a new level! I like how the stripes in the fabrics give it such motion.

Suze said...

You make a great team. I love the pillow top and it will be awesome when finished. You are a great mom! I read some of the rest of the blog and saw how you are involved with your children and their activities. You will not regret that and you will have memories you will never forget. What a cute top you made for the tiny 8 year old, too! You are wonderful to do that for your daughter's group. Life isn't all about quilting! Your studio is wonderful. Thank you for taking time from your busy life to blog, share, and inspire us.

lefuntz said...

Love your dresden. Different lengths and in a square! And congrats on the new studio. I'm a little green with envy.

Cindy said...

Gears look great!

Judy B said...

Very pretty Dresden. Your new studio will be fabulous! Thank you for sharing.

sandra said...

Love it very modern, it will make a beautiful pillow.

evelyn said...

It turned out great. Hope you show pics of finished studio.

Sandra Kaye said...

Lovely!!! I really like the first one!!! Very cool :):)

✄ Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy ✄ said...

Love it - and it's a line from Connecting Threads, right? I have that same one I keep meaning to make a quilt for my nephew with it - I love this idea! Thanks for sharing!!

Cecilia said...

I like the way you made the Dresden so masculine. Great job! Thanks for sharing.

Kris said...

Leah - Fabulous Dresden!! And how fun to have a new quilt studio!!

Paul said...

Leah, your pillow looks great. I love the fabric and the various sizes of wedges. Thanks for providing a link to the gear pillow post on my blog. I suddenly got a nice unexpected hit of traffic!

Farm Quilter said...

Oh, I love the way you did the Dresden for your pillow!!! So modern and awesome!!!

Barb Neiwert said...

That's a neat way to construct Dresdens, and I love the fabric choices. A great pillow!

Simone said...

Beautiful! Love the way the browns work together. How exciting to be working on a studio as well. Happy renovating!

Linda C said...

I love the gear version of the dresden! I can see why it might be a little difficult to sew right now while the studio is coming together. Looks like it is going to be an amazing space! Lucky you.

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

lovely dresdens, thanks for sharing and have fun in your new studio, looks great.

Just Quilt It said...

Beautiful and so creative!

Pamela said...

Fabulous Dresden! Thanks for sharing!