Monday, January 2, 2012

KILT Making: First UFO Finish for 2012!

UFO Completed! First UFO done...First Kilt done...

This kilt was completely hand crafted by me and 95% of the stitching was all handstitched!

This kilt was started Sept 2009 in a class that lasted 9 weeks. The course was great... and I made the kilt "large" so it would fit my daughter this year. She is now in need of a new kilt, and other than I needed to take it in a little (move the buckles from their intended location) the fit is pretty good... I'm linking this up as December's UFO Completion, because I didn't have a quilt numbered 12...

The course was great - 4 students... we had 9 weekly classes of 3 hours each week!  We were exhausted when we left each week with our homework.  Most weeks it was 6-12 hours of homework!  WOW!   And the final 4 hours of homework was just completed today.  I figure this kilt took between 50-60 hours plus class time.

After sewing this I understand WHY a KILT costs over $500!  First the 100% wool tartan... and then the 30-60 hours to handstitch!  Will I make another is the question?  I know it'll be faster....  I won't be making these to sell but may make them for family (really close family, like ONLY my kids)

kilt-front
kilt-back
























Note: The black basting thread are still in for one final press. I'm going to take it to the Dry Cleaners to have this done. I'm hoping I can get it done while I wait...

Next Project: Highland Dance Vest to match
Glad I didn't start this before the kilt was finished. I probably would have made the vest too skinny. This kilt adds 1-2" to her waist and hip measurements due to the layers of fabric... Now off to search for the pattern.

Deadline: 14 January at 8AM for the next Competition

Stash Report #1 (1 Jan 2012)


      Used this Week:       0 m
          Year to Date:     0 m
      Added this Week:      0 m
          Year to Date:     0 m
      Net Used for 2012:    0 m

      Projects Completed:    1
          Year to Date:      1
      UFOs Completed:        1
          Year to Date:      1

No comments: