This is my first time participating in Blogger's Quilt Festival. I haven't done much quilting, most of my sewing through the years has been garments and home dec, but have made a few quick/small blankets, but here is my first large quilt.
I made this Quilt for my Gram's 90th Birthday. The first difficulty was finding the "right" fabric. My grandmother wanted butterflies and I searched and searched for butterflies that year. It was hard to find... really hard. There were few available prints that spring, and those I found were the wrong colours. She loved pink so I really wanted a pink fabric. So I stumbled along this fabric, but don't remember what line it was from. I might have a few pieces somewhere in my scraps, but I've since used most of the scraps making my daughter a dress.
![]() |
| My Gram's 90th Birthday! |
![]() |
| Some old photos of my Grandparents |
The Photos.... Choosing the photos for this project were a whole project in and of themselves. Most of the photos were from a photo album my mom had. The images were scanned and printed on photo transfer paper. But one of the photos we had to "steal" from Gram's house, and bring home and scan and quietly return!
| Laying out the blocks |
Hunting through the photos was great fun! After scanning many photos, we had to narrow down the photos and figure out the layout... Sewing the quilt top together was quite fast and the quilting was fairly fast too. The iron on transfers were the slowest part - as we didn't want to mess them up!
![]() | |
| Quilt Top Ready | Ready for Binding |
The first row of photos are my grandmother as a young girl, my Gram and her dad in Stanley Park, my Gram and her parents and my Gram and Grampa around the time they got married. The second row has a current photo of her, a photo of each of them from the 1950s-1970s and a photo of my Mom and Uncle as young kids. The third row has my cousins, my aunt and uncle, my mom & her husband and my brother and his girlfriend. The bottom row is a photo of my husband and I and then photos of my kids (her great grand kids).
ETA: The quilt is much loved and hangs on the wall in her suite. The first few weeks she brought all her friends and neighbours in to see her new quilt. The only thing I wish I'd done was add a lower rod so the corners don't roll.
Here is a photo of the dress I made for my daughter with the extra fabric.
Under dress | A New Dress |



3 comments:
It's lovely. I bet your grandmother loved it.
What a wonderful quilt...it will be treasured by your whole family. Your daughter is a sweetie pie.
Micki
I love the idea of incorporating photos into a quilt - I am not surprised she wanted all of her friends to see it, what a wonderful gift!
Post a Comment